Revis Ends Holdout With Jets
By: Kristian Winfield
September 7th, 2010
Revis’ contract holdout first began in May after he sat down and spoke with the Jets staff about his contract:
“I have talked to Coach Ryan and [general manager Mike] Tannenbaum himself and they believe I should be the highest-paid player at my position,” said Revis. “They understand that and I understand that. It is something that is going to get done. The Jets are family to me.”
Last season, Revis’ performance crowned him as the best corner in the league, overshadowing Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha as the template for a shutdown cornerback. He had 6 interceptions and a remarkable 31 forced incompletions over the 16 games he started. But when the Jets failed to deliver their promise at the end of the season, Revis showed them how much of a business the NFL really is, skipping the beginning of training camp.
Under his original contract, Revis was set to make $1 million in the upcoming fourth year of his six-year rookie contract. However, if he was to become the highest paid corner in the NFL; that amount would have to change.
“It not has only been hard on u guys, but it has for me too,” Revis said on his Twitter page early Monday morning. “I just want to tell yall that I’m sorry for this process and I can’t wait to get back on the field.”
Darrelle Revis’ new deal includes $32 million in guarantees over the next four years. With him etched into the lineup, the Jets secondary is virtually impenetrable, as the Jets signed CB Antonio Cromartie earlier in the offseason. If their offense can hold put some points on the board, Gang Green could make a serious run for the title this year.